Poisoning

Read more on Poison / Pesticides - General Information Pamphlet (English) | General Information Pamphlet (Afrikaans) | Poisoning

HOW TO PREVENT POISONING

It's not child's play

DID YOU KNOW?

Children younger than five years of age are at risk because:

  • They learn and explore by putting things in their mouth.
  • They are unable to recognize bad odours and flavours.
  • They are attracted to colourful packaging.
  • They can’t tell the difference between tablets and sweets.

COMMON POISONOUS SUBSTANCES AT HOME:

  • Medicine
  • Cosmetics
  • Household products
  • Pesticides
  • Plants, berries and mushrooms
  • Inflammable liquids
  • Alcohol
  • Button-sized batteries

HOW TO PREVENT POISONING:

  • Always store all poisonous products out of sight and reach of children, e.g. in a locked cupboard, high up where the children can’t reach.
  • Always safely store poisonous substances immediately after use.
  • Remember that childproof containers are not 100% childproof.
  • Keep handbag that contain medicines or cosmetics out of reach.
  • Dispose of unnecessary medication safely and quickly.
  • Do not share medication.
  • Always read medicine instructions carefully and administer the prescribed dose.
  • Always administer medicine in a well-lit room.
  • Always keep a record of medicine administered.
  • Never refer to medicines as sweets or lollies to make them more attractive.
  • Always leave chemicals and detergents in their original containers, don’t transfer them to cooldrink bottles.
  • Keep loose batteries and battery-controlled devices away from children and place a piece of sticky tape over the battery case.
  • Teach your children about the dangers of eating anything from the garden.

FIRST AID

POISONS:
Acid Dishwashing powder Oven cleaner
Ammonia Disinfectants Paint remover
Battery acid Drain cleaner Paraffin
Button-sized batteries Firelighters Petrol
Benzine Hydrochloric acid Toilet cleaner
Camphorated oil Iron tablets Turpentine
Caustic soda Metal cleaners Varnish
Chlorine Mineral turpentine Washing soda
Condy’s Crystals Oil-based paint White spirits

Do not make the child vomit. Do not give them anything to drink or eat. Take them to the hospital immediately and quickly.

POISONS:
Bleach Fertilizer Milk fluoride tablets
Dishwashing liquid Hair dye/colour Soap
Fabric dye Hair perm chemicals Window cleaner
Fabric softener Hair straighteners  
Laundry detergents Hydrogen peroxide  

Do not make the child vomit. Immediately give them half a cup of milk or water. Contact your local poison centre.

POISONS:
Alcohol Glue Shampoo
Cosmetics Perfume Vitamins
Deodorant    

Give the child half a cup of water. Contact your local poison centre.

POISONS:
Aspirin Insecticides Pills
Carbon tetrachloride Liniments Rat bait
Cough syrup Nail varnish remover Snail bait
Glue (contact) Paracetamol Tablets
Insect repellents Pesticides Weedkiller
CHARCOAL MIXTURE
INFANTS: 1 g charcoal per kg of child’s weight. Give the child active activated charcoal to absorb the poison. Contact the poison centre to take them to hospital.
CHILDREN: Mix 15–30 g charcoal with 240 ml water.
ADULTS: Mix 50–100 g charcoal with 300–500 ml water.

 

For emergency Contact Numbers - see our Crisis Page