Travel Safety Products
Read more on Buckle up the kids
Read more on Road Safety
Child car restraint guide
Using a car seat correctly makes a big difference. Even the safest seat may not protect your child in a collision, so take a minute to check to be sure.
The following categories of child car restraints are currently available:
1) Infant car restraint
(Birth - 9 months/ 0- 10 kg)
- Must be used facing rearwards at all times. In a collision impact will be on seat and not on baby.
- Must be used with three point adult seat belt.
- The baby is securely held in the seat by the harness.
2) Child car restraint
(Birth - 5 years/ 0- 18 kg)
There are a variety of seats available in this category
- These seats should face the rear of the car until the infant is ± 10 kg or 9 months old.
- After this the seat can be turned around, facing forward.
- The method of installation vary from seat to seat. Some could be used with three point adult safety belts, lap belts or special anchorage straps.
- Always follow manufacturer instruction on how to fit the seat.
3) Booster seats
(± 2 -10 Years)
These safety seats are light and versatile and can only be secured with a three point adult safety belt.
- Can be used on front or back seat with adult safety belt.
4) Booster cushion
(± 3-10 Years/ 15- 36 kg)
- These cushions are used when children have outgrown the above mentioned seats.
- This seat will help position seat belt and improve view from the car.
- Should always be used with three point adult belt (back or front).
- Should be used until child has grown sufficiently to wear a seat belt, usually at ± 7 years.
All child restraints sold in South Africa must comply with compulsory specifications. This indicates to the consumer that the child restraints are tested on a regular basis by an independent body and comply with statutory requirements, and that surveillance and removal of non-compliant products can be done. Specifications covers the manufacture, performance and safety of child restraints.
Visit the SABS website or URL: http://www.sabs.co.za/
Click to view homologated child restraints
For more information on Child Car Restraints contact CAPFSA on Tel: (021) 6855208